Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Things I Like

To make up for not having much to offer in my earlier post, I thought I would make a list of the things i like so far about So Ko:

1. The weather. It's amazing here. No humidity, and I think the temperature has been under 80 the entire week.

2. The proximity of things. You can literally walk just about anywhere without breaking a sweat.

3. The children. I have yet to see an ugly Korean baby.

4. Most of the food. Admittedly, some of the dishes I've had will go down on my "Never Eat Again...EVER" list, but some of the things I've had are really delicious.

5. The quality of food. I think things taste better here because they're fresher. We eat so many fruits and vegetables, all fresh. I haven't had any fast food since arriving, and the worst junk food I've had is creamy, delicious ice cream.

6. Eating with jeotgarak -- chopsticks. Honestly, it makes eating an adventure and a challenge. Conveniently, I was already pretty handy with these before I came here, but --barring a few incidents resulting in food landing on the table instead of my mouth-- I have to say I'm improving.

7. Surprising the people I meet by greeting them in Korean. I love the look of shock and the laughter of whoever I'm speaking to when I greet them or thank them in Korean. they don't expect it from the curvy white foreigner.

8. Window shopping. So Ko has so many little shops and specialty stores, with so many gift ideas and inexpensive trinkets. It's a pleasure just to look sometimes.

9. The bustle. I guess the small town girl in me likes the alien feel of the towering apartments crowded together and the vast number of people milling around below. I like to just stand out on the veranda and admire the buildings sometimes.

10. The fashion. Sometimes I giggle at the way people are dressed-- older people especially. We've turned fashion into some kind of monster in America... but here, if it fits and is comfortable, they wear it, regardless of if it "matches" or not.

11. The looks I get from little kids. I get stared at a lot here. I stand out, so it's understandable. I have noticed a trend in the people who stare though-- it's usually the elderly and children. I'm okay with it so far; no one has been malicious, so I see no harm in people gawking.

12. That awkward moment when I'm not sure if I should bow to someone or not. It's not really a bow so much as a slight inclination of the upper body in the recipient's general direction. I never know when it's appropriate to bow. I feel like a huge FAIL every time I try.


I'm sure I'll have more up later. =D

-B

1 comment:

  1. From the packing to now : I am SO happy you are having a good time in SoKo! You know, SoKo sounds like a shoe brand every time I read it I love how you always express everything so vividly - that's just the literary buff I know you are! I feel like I get my fix of "The SoKo Brenna Show" on my home page each time time there is a post. Can't wait to see all the pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete