Saturday, July 16, 2011

Ugh

Wow, I've been terrible about updating this. It's been two weeks since I posted anything, and sadly, I don't have much to offer even now. We've been out shopping a few times, but because Soo-Min is working as an intern all summer, and Soo-Bin has apparently decided she doesn't need to talk to me, I have nothing to do and no one to talk to. I've literally spent the past two days watching My Chemical Romance videos on Youtube and sleeping. Here are some more observations, though:

1. When travelling to a foreign country, it's always good to try to understand the cultural differences. We were at a mall in Seoul last weekend and I happen to overhear another "foreigner" (an American, much to my own embarrassment) whining about how rude Koreans were for bumping into her. I nearly said something rude myself. South Koreans live a hustle-and-bustle lifestyle that is conducive to jostling, shoving, and lack of "personal space", but only a hoity-toity American would have the nerve to consider this fast-paced culture "rude." Her ignorance irritated me almost as much as Soo-Min. I'm not saying you have to like being shoved around, but it would make you seem like less of a snob if you could at least understand why you're being bumped into.

2. Korean milk, though way too sweet to be enjoyed in a glass, makes really delicious ice-cream.

3. There is no way to cure homesickness.

4. When you do very little for days at a time, it's easy to lose track of what day it actually is. For instance, I thought today was Friday...all day. Soo-Min told me it was Saturday when I asked why she was home on a Friday. Needless to say, I felt pretty stupid.

5. A Rubik's cube, though difficult, is not impossible to solve. I should know... I've spent two days working on one, and have solved it a few times.

6. Forgetting the pin number to your debit card while visiting a foreign country is a BAD idea.


I miss a lot from the U.S. I expected to be having a lot more fun in So Ko. I try not to get too bummed out about being stuck indoors everyday. Part of me hopes something cool will happen regardless. But I've spent a week indoors, with no hope or indication of any plans to do something entertaining from Soo-Min and her family. I've tried walking about, to get to know the neighborhood, but the incessant rain and heat make walking a trial. I've been to E-Mart several times, simply to have a big, air-conditioned place to stretch my legs, but even that gets old. Soo-Min's parents are so kind... they take care of every physical need I have. But I get left out a lot due to the language barrier. To put it bluntly, it sucks to have no one to talk to. I had such great hopes for this summer, but suffering from homesickness and loneliness in a house full of people wasn't in my plans. It saddens me to think that in May, I was counting down the days until I left for So Ko, and now I find myself marking off the days until I can be back home among friends and family, with whom I can talk and laugh and just be around without feeling like a piece of furniture in the room.

I've tried to be understanding, noting that Soo-Min is working and Soo-Bin is much younger than me... but it's hard not to feel bitter when you're never addressed except to tell you when to eat. I just want to have a conversation with someone that isn't forced.

-B

No comments:

Post a Comment